Sunday, May 15, 2011

Baby Bliss!


After a very unexpected (yet very timely) trip back to Dallas I am reminded why home is where the heart is.

I hurried home Friday to help my mommsie with all that was going on. After quickly packing and making the 3 hour drive I was home. In true Barnes fashion, I walked into chaos. My Great Aunt Donna had a shoulder replacement and so my mom had been running between the hospital and home all while trying to plan a party for Saturday.

That night Mom, Randi (my younger sister), Sharon (family friend/Aunt), and Dana (family friend/Aunt) and I went to Main Street Days to see the Professor D band.  I had a blast spending time with people close to me, and had even more fun watching adults embarrass themselves thinking that certain dance moves are ageless. If parts of your body are still shaking when you have stopped dancing… do NOT do it!

Saturday morning started at 6:45, and magically overnight our house was turned into the Emily Post Academy for Barnes Girls. My first class was ironing linens in the sweat shop that is the “Laundry Room,” and then moved onto my horticulture, culinary, and interior design classes. Randi and I quickly rushed to get ready by 11:30.

BUT, it was all for a wonderful event. My mother was hosting a baby shower for a beautiful pregnant gal named Lindsey Poston. Lindsey is the daughter of a dear family friend, Mrs. Ricker. Lindsey's sister, Kelley, and I have known each other through soccer since middle school and our families have been intertwined ever since. While we are discussing Kelley, there was another Kelly in the room, Lindsey’s sister-in-law Kelly Poston … that brings a grand total of 3 Kelli’s in one place! I think you can comprehend how the party just kicked itself up a notch! Speaking of kicking it up a notch.… the baby industry is AMAZING! First, I wish it was still appropriate to rock half those baby outfits. Secondly, the décor for kids these days totally whips my Winnie the Pooh Bedroom’s behind! Lastly, I miss storybooks… with a passion.

The atmosphere was lovely. The Ricker and Poston families were so welcoming and loving. Baby Poston is going to be surrounded by so much love that it really hit home. As Lindsey opened a gift that turned out to be blanket that was made to swaddle babies easier, the discussion started about how swaddling soothes a baby into feeling like it is in the mother’s womb. I started thinking how in my life swaddling didn’t stop at a blanket. Personally speaking, I feel so blessed to have been swaddled in my family and friend’s love. No matter where I am it is always the one thing that soothes me into thinking I am home.

Shout out to Lindsey for a healthy pregnancy as she approaches her due date. May God bless you and that beautiful baby girl you have growing inside of you!

1 comment:

  1. Kelli! What a beautiful and poetic post. You are absolutely right in saying that home is where the heart is!! As I read your post, I broke into tears as I miss home every single day. It’s the little things that make a gal misses so far from home! Yes, that means the chaotic household and many assigned tasks as we get ready for one of mom’s grand events, good times with family and friends and mostly the love that mom and dad so gently swaddle us in even at 25 years of age. You have a gift of writing and a beautiful way of speaking to the soul. I wish that I could have been there with you all this weekend creating more memories! Love you! xoxo - cor

    ReplyDelete