Saturday, June 18, 2011

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOB!

Monday was a school holiday, so lucky me! AND an old teammate of mine, Mandy, was backpacking through Europe and was in Paris. I met up with her in front of Notre Dame, and I am starting to feel like a tour guide with that place! After that it was off to the Eiffel Tower to see the staple of Paris. If you didn’t know, many Parisians thought that the Eiffel Tower was an eye sore and even called it the metal asparagus.

Then, we all wanted to see Moulin Rouge and it was an adventure to get there. First off, when we got off the metro we looked at each other like “Where are we?” Paris is a melting pot and sometime you feel like you stepped into another country. This time we were in India and Africa… yup a two for one special! And we stuck out! We found our way on the map and stopped at McDonalds (its hard trusting street food sometimes and so we needed a legitimate place for nourishment) on our adventure to Moulin Rouge. SISTA! Can I tell you that I felt so awkward walking down the road that leads to the Moulin Rouge, because it is FULL of adult stores and strip clubs?! And what is more awkward is how kids with their families are eating at restaurants right next to them. I am no parent, but I think that is a little much for children’s eyes. We came, we saw, we conquered. The Moulin Rouge is neat to see, but not worth the hassle of getting there. If you are pressed for time in Paris, avoid it.  After saying goodbye to Mandy and her friend, it was back home I went to get ready for a busy week of school.

Class on Tuesday started at 9:30 and its neat how Americans are very timely and the French stroll in 10-15 minutes later. A debate started between the French students and a Spanish student over if the Spanish President was a “President or a Prime Minister.” The girl I sit with, Erin, and I had our heads on a swivel listening to them argue about it. AND THEY ARE PASSIONATE ABOUT ARGUING! Both sides settled on not agreeing and the lesson went on. Erin and I are the only blondes and when the discussion started about Germany, guess which two girls were nominated for the part?

That night we went to a restaurant that boasts cheap dinners. I had the hamburger tartar, and I paid for not having my translator because I was served a raw hamburger patty that was toasted on the outside. I vowed to try it, and I paid for it later. Apparently the menu forgot to inform me that eating a hamburger tartar required a metal stomach.  

On Wednesday, I once again was reminded how homeless people here can be utterly disgusting. I was leaving my school and a homeless guy lives about half a block away, and he was throwing his own fecal matter into the street and it was BARE HANDED! I was gagging, and gagged all the way to the metro stop. I know only walk on the other side of the street, because I can’t be around him.

After class it was off to the Louvre! Kind of pathetic I have been here for almost 3 weeks and had yet to do that! BUT, I did. My favorite room was the one with royal jewels. Louis XV’s crown was my dream! I am super jealous; because I feel like that I could rock that thing better than he could! I passed by the Mona Lisa, because THERE ARE FREAKING MOBS TO SEE IT! I love the Greek sculptures, but I felt like I was walking down the street near Moulin Rouge with all the nudity of display! French Students get in free, so I’ll be back to take on more of the crowd. After leaving the Louvre, I got a call from a college teammate, Amanda Lackey, was also by the Louvre. It was so good to see her! Her and her boyfriend, Nils, walked us home because the metros were not running due to a “suspicious package.”

Before class on Thursday, Amanda and I met up for breakfast. I was so nice to catch up! This cute little Finch kept coming over to our table, so Amanda held out a piece of her almond and the bird took it! He did it the entire time we were there!

After class on Thursday, it was off to start scoping out clothes for the big sale coming next Wednesday. People take their shopping seriously, and I needed to map out my plan of attack. Then it was off the BHV to get a couple of things for the house. I wasn’t aware that the BHV is like a Neiman Marcus and that is where I went to find a pillow: A €26 PILLOW!  I’m still a little bitter that I didn’t know what I got myself into.

That night, all the Texans were craving some Margaritas. So, it was off to the Tennessee Restaurant to kill the craving for Happy Hour! AND, I had chips and guacamole… it was pure bliss! Then, Ana and I went down by the river to watch some locals dance to French music. I felt like I was watching Pride and Prejudice. Everyone knew the routines! I wish Americans had something comparable. Upon, leaving I had to pee like a racehorse! BUT, there were no bathrooms and I refused to set up shop in some bushes. The metro’s we closed so I had to walk home… walk for 20 minutes. By the time I reached the last street, I was running down St. Germaine as people stared at me! Just in case you were wondering: I made it home in time.

I didn’t have class on Friday, so I slept in. My room has a shade that you pull down, so I never know what time it is! After waking up at 12pm, I got ready and went on a run at a park by the Eiffel Tower. I went with John and David, and once again I got lost when we all got separated. Not to mention it was raining and I was freezing! After David found me it was home I went to get warm and nap. When I woke up I got ready and we went to meet Amanda for drinks. We ended up going to a friend of their friend’s apartment. The apartment was so cool. I was jealous! Once again, Amanda and I caught up and it nice to have a conversation with her boyfriend. I loved hearing about his visit to America. The fact that “Big Gulps” from 711 are only 89cents, or that he had never had a cinnamon roll!

When Ana and I got home, I called home because it was my dad’s birthday! I love how when we gave him his present the family was still together. I was watching on Skype and Corie was on speaker phone. I want to keep that moment private, but let’s just say no matter where we go in life we all “remember where we came from.” Happy Birthday Dad! I am so thankful and privileged to have such an incredible man to call my father. I love you and I cannot wait to hug you when I step off the plane in Dallas.  

No comments:

Post a Comment