Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Pathetic Parisians

Last night, Ana and I rallied and decided to try to go to this bar she had been once before. She had only been in the top part, and we quickly learned about the underground. Ah! We walked right into a little jewel. The walls had such old stone, low ceilings, two small rooms, and even an old well.  The bar had been around since the 60’s and the music never changed. After a beer, we stumbled onto some people that spoke English, and they warned us about how this place got crazy. It was such a wonderful scene: People in their twenties singing to music from the 60’s in French, Italian, and English. The fashion from the girls was so inspiring! We learned from a French guy, that the place used to be a hot bed for philosophers. Ana and I both agreed that we would be back!



This morning, I finally unpacked all of my things. I know it’s pretty pathetic that I have been here for almost a week and had yet to do that. After unpacking, Ana and I went for a bite to eat and I had my first éclair! Never had an éclair? Think of it as the Éclair is living on Park Avenue and the Twinkie is living in the slums. It took all my restraint not to gobble it up. No, éclairs are the refined Twinkie so I tried to act refined while eating it. I succeed… well done mom!

Our Metro passes started today, meaning we get to ride the Metro and buses as many times as we want and we vowed to get our money’s worth. So, we decided that we were going to see the Eiffel Tower (Tour Eiffel) today, and get there on the metro. First, we got on the wrong train and had to ask how in the world we get back. We found our way by having to ask the information booth, because we were still confused at the next metro intersection. Believe it or not, the hardest part about the metro is finding the exit. We look like complete tourists walking underground. BUT,  we will master it!

The Eiffel Tower is… well you’ve seen the pictures. We had barely taken our first picture when a person in gorilla costume came up and hugged Ana for a picture. I snapped the shot and then the damn monkey holds out a cup. HE CHARGED US FOR THE SHOT. Ana put 50cents in and then the monkey turned the cup to show 2Euros. She shook her head and we began to walk away until he tried to stop her, and I’ll give it to Ana because she shook her finger and declared, “Excusez-moi.” The monkey did not persist. I laughed for about 30 minutes. (I secretly wanted him to approach us while leaving, so I could get another laugh… sorry Ana)



We then took a nap in the garden in front of the Eiffel Tower! It doesn’t hit me until I write what a neat experience it is to nap in front of the Eiffel Tower! 





Thank goodness we napped; because little did we know we were going to need it! We got back on the metro and were home in a breeze. After, buying a hat and a sandwich we were headed home. WRONG WRONG WRONG! We got lost and spent over an hour trying to find our way back! It did have its fun when we finally had to sit down and just started laughing at our luck, and at the fact that we know people were looking at us like, “Ah, Americans.”  Seeing the green door to our apartment was so sweet! Ana and I agreed that we are “Pathetic Parisians.” 


No comments:

Post a Comment